native of Havana, Cuba, Ms. Gutierrez has a strong background in
international public relations and marketing, and vast experience
in ethnic markets, both in the United States and abroad. Ms. Gutierrez
began her professional career as a journalist with the Los Angeles
Herald-Examiner. She was Assistant Public Relations Director of
the California State Museum of Science and Industry, developed the
first Hispanic advertising and media campaign for Greyhound at Bozell
Worldwide, and was a key team member of both the national and international
AT&T marketing program. Another career achievement has included
the writing of a 200-page book on wine for Grosset and Dunlap.
In the past decade, Ms. Gutierrez has worked for both the City
of Los Angeles and the County of Los Angeles. In her capacity as
media director for the City of Los Angeles' Cultural Affairs Department,
she promoted the artistic activities taking place in the city. In
her work for the County of Los Angeles and its Human Relations Commission,
she was responsible for directing the media relations work for the
Commission. The Commission on Human Relations works on the improvement
of inter-group issues facing the more than 10 million people living
within the County of Los Angeles.
ACCOMPLISHMENTS OF PLANET DIVERSITY PRINCIPAL, AVA GUTIERREZ
- Developed $2 million marketing campaign directed to U.S. consumers
by a global telecommunications company
- Managed international corporate publications programs for global
- Developed and supervised database, as well as direct mail campaigns,
to customers in all parts of the Western Hemisphere
- Supervised and trained staff for corporate events; major exhibits
in Western Hemisphere and Africa
- Trained exhibit sales staffs, and conducted in-country seminars;
recruited in-country employees and negotiated contracts with in-country
- Served as spokesperson to media for global corporations
- Developed national public relations campaign. Components included
organizing community and marketing events; creating all promotional
materials; and dealing with local and national press.
- Created State museum fundraising organization, still in existence,
dedicated to support of the museum’s science and arts programs.
- Spearheaded first national wine label campaign against Fetal
- Headed team that developed ethnic advertising campaign for
Greyhound; won award for best Spanish language commercial in 1983.
- Pioneered ethnic advertising campaigns for Greyhound, American
Airlines, Masa Harina, Swiss Miss, and retail wine and spirits
- Created commercial for the AT&T “Servicio en Espanol”
- Published magazine writer and journalist
- Co-authored non-fiction book Wine Secrets – published
by Grosset and Dunlap, chosen “Best Wine Book of the Year”
by the International Food and Wine Society.
Los Angeles City College, Citrus College and University of California
at Los Angeles; bilingual and bicultural (Spanish); computer literate.
- Mr. Henry Lopez, Los Angeles Community and Senior Services,
(213) 738-2337 (Former Supervisor)
- Ms. Lorenza Sanchez, Los Angeles Community & Senior Services,
(213) 738-2337 (Assistant Director of Department)
- Ms. Janet Perales, former co-worker, (305) 975-7515
- Mr. Jeff Wang, former-assistant at CSS, (714) 876-4492
- Mrs. Cheryl Wellum, former-assistant at Bermudez & Associates,